Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Debate Wrap-Up

The debate was interesting today. I must say though, I had no idea what to expect but none-the-less, I really enjoyed it. It was good fun.

The different view points and stands that people took were rather interesting. My personal view point? Neither is more important than the other - both are required to achieve optimal and improve living standards of today's society. There were a few arguments that were missed though that I think either side could have used to further strengthen their argument (IT I noticed lacked fire power and I feel as though they had the opportunity to put forth much stronger arguments).

It was an interesting exercise for me none the less. I'm still a bit iffy about public speaking (have yet to go back and listen to the playback of the audio) and I know at the end of it my hand was shaking a bit, but it's a learning experience. I can talk in front of people fine, it's just afterwards that I feel the nerves. Just a skill I need to practice. Plus, although I may have come across as rather aggressive and confrontational in the debate, in reality I really don't like doing that. Not a fan of arguing.

Watching people's responses and actions though was rather curious. It made me rather amused to see people get worked up or vehemently deny the opposing arguments. Plus, in conjunction to nerves as stated earlier, I don't feel so left out. I noticed another person on the other side who's hands were shaking so badly you could see the paper shaking as well, in addition to their arm. *takes deep breath* Main thing is to learn, keep calm. It's just normal speaking, but to a larger audience.

I feel a bit bad about the arguments I did throw in. The games and violence one, although the media may advertise it to be so, I don't believe games cause violence. Rather violent people play violent games.

I'm not sure who won the debate, but hopefully should get an update from the lecturer anyway. Really would've been good to see the final arguments from the Captains.

Good fun all in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment