Thursday, April 8, 2010

Recent Meeting and Thesis Proposal

Had a meeting with Ian earlier over Skype. Strangely enough, that would've been my actual first time using skype for voice/video chat. Good service on the chance that your connection is stable.

So got some interesting points to look at for my proposal. I've got a good idea of my research plan now and also the scale. I'm just hoping that its not too big.

Main concerns is over the GIS data and modelling everything on top of it. Just depends on how the council makes use of the data, if it's an object file or something which I can easily import into Maya or 3DS Max, would make life so much more easier.

Currently sitting in the car updating while on a drive. Wireless is actually better while in the car then in the house. Haven't experienced one drop out yet.

Tomorrow and over the weekend, there won't be any updates from me as I'll pretty much be unreachable all weekend while I'm at an event, so gotta see what I can do before then. (Hence why netbook + wireless in the car) At least this way I'm not losing time twiddling my thumbs in a car ride.

On the subject of netbooks and wireless broadband sticks - fantastic investment. The best $400 I've ever spent. At some point I wouldn't mind writing up a full review on the netbook just simply because I don't think many people realise how good they really are.

Back on subject of thesis. The way I want to 'start' with my project is ideally when I get back to Townsville to jump into modelling right away. That's going to be one of the tasks that is the most time consuming. There's two options for that; modelling using Google Earth Pro (similar to what is happening with a model of the JCU campus) or doing it through 3DS/Maya and either creating an environment within the application (will be extremely slow due to the volume of polygons in any one scene) OR porting the models into something like a game engine. I just need to make sure I have an environment in which a user can navigate through successfully. The other thing with the game engines is making sure it supports stereoscopic 3D and is direct X 10 enabled.

A few different things to look at, but things to think about none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment