Friday, April 2, 2010

3D in Cinemas

Went and saw "How to Train Your Dragon" in 3D yesterday at Birch. Good movie. Highly recommended.

Main focus here though is actual 3D being used to display landscapes...

Birch Carroll and Coyle cinemas make use of RealD technology (www.reald.com) whereas Reading Cinemas uses Dolby Digital 3D (www.dolby.com/professional/solutions/cinema/3d-digital-cinema.html)

Between the two, I found that RealD was better then that of Dolby 3D. For starters, the glasses you can keep from RealD whereas with Dolby 3D you have the staff staring at you when you walk out of the theater, almost as if they're expecting you to take off running with their glasses. (Glasses from RealD, very cheap to make VS Dolby 3D synced with the screen/video and alternating shutters, rather expensive). I'm not 100% sure where the NVIDIA 3D sits between these two different types of technology though.. It'd be interesting to see how different/similar they are in depth/perspective. Particularly if you are off center of the image or move around a lot. (An issue I didn't find with RealD).

Depth wise, both RealD and Dolby 3D were good. Though... I notice that the 3D does cut off when it hits the 'edge' of the screen. It's like looking through a window. You can see the depth of the objects, but it's not like they 'leap' out of the screen (although it appears that Dolby 3D has a better ... can't think of the word, but 'pop out' effect..)

I think with having the demo of the Paluma landscape in 3D would definitely generate a lot of public interest, not because of it being a virtual environment, but something that people can actually see in 3D. I think a lot of people would show up just to be able to experience something 'new' (not really) and cool. Plus with the 3D hype going around, it's a step towards embracing new technology.

Before I leave, just an interesting blog I found on someone else's views on 3D.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment